Association member employers looking for solutions may now have the ability to offer affordable benefits to their employees.
The Wait is Over
After months of anticipation new regulation has been released. On 6/19/2018 the Department of Labor (DOL) released the final regulations for the expansion of Association Health Plans (AHPs). The regulation opens a larger door for associations, small employers and sole proprietors to access competitive health care benefits. By allowing smaller employers to band together, it allows them to access benefits usually only afforded to large employers.
Key highlights of the new rules are:
- Permits associations in different industries or businesses that share common geographical locale to offer health
- Allows sole proprietors to participate in
- Allows existing AHPs to continue under the previous
- Associations interested in forming a fully-insured health plans are expected to be able to do so beginning 9/1/2018.
- The final regulations state associations must still have substantial purpose other than providing health
The recent changes should benefit our goal in adding new associations as clients.
Content provided by Adella Salinas, HR Director, SelectSource